Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Be the Change

I struggled with whether or not to write this blog post or not. I don't like the idea of self-promotion. But I do like the idea of celebrating victories, especially when they are collaborative and represent other people propping you up. So, I weighed it out, and celebrating victories won.

This was on the cover of the Madison Magazine this fall. I am SO proud of and truly thankful for this collaborative work, I could SCREAM it from a rooftop. And I must say-I knew about the story, but didn't know it would be on the cover. When the print version is officially online, I'll link it to the blog. For now, if you want to see some video and other information about the work, check this link out:
http://www.jmu.edu/bethechange/stories/warren_county_reading.shtml\

I've been working with some truly amazing people in the Warren County Public Schools for the last few years. The teachers, administrators, and district-level staff are amazing. Open minded. Collaborative. Kind. Committed to kids. Special. I could go on, and on, and on. They have eagerly opened their classrooms to me (and my research...including video cameras which is not easy). I can only HOPE I can be the same for them. In fact, I've learned so much more from them than they could ever learn from me. They are the ones who fight every day against insurmountable odds. To say I love these teachers would be an understatement. They represent everything I gave up my classroom and earned a Ph.D. for.

Don't misinterpret this post as bragging. Interpret it as admiration. Interpret it as awe, that someone would actually care about the insanely grueling work that's happening between a "nobody" faculty and a group of amazing teachers in a really special school district. When I'm cowering to higher ed politics or feeling overwhelmed by the entirety of it all, I see the faces of these teachers and students, and remember why I chose this life in the first place. Thank you, WCPS, you are amazing and so special to me.

1 comment:

Meredith.Spradling said...

Wow- that is the coolest thing ever. I am so proud that you made the cover!!! Hello, Miss Mover and Shaker. YAY!