Sunday, January 6, 2013

Memory Quilts

I wanted to find a really special way to honor my dad this Christmas. We got most of his clothing, so I got the idea of having memory quilts made for myself and my sister. Out of luck, I found the most wonderful quilter, Judy at "A Better Quilt" online. It was so clear from our conversations on the phone that making these quilts is much more than a job to her, probably more like a calling.

My dad was a Premier Partner and Broker/Dealer with Lincoln Financial for over 20 years. He was extremely good at his job, and a large part of his identity was his profession. Though he was quite the saver, he did spend money on clothing. In his business, it was critical to be dressed to impress. He probably had 150 or more custom made suits, ties, shirts, etc. Truly, I am NOT exaggerating. These aren't the kinds of things you donate to Goodwill-they wouldn't fit many people....he was short and stout (genetics..ugh)...and besides they had sentimental meaning to me. I was glad to have them.

The flip side of dad was that he only had one other mode of dress-sweatpants, sweatshirts, crazy t-shirts, and so on. I sent one box of the custom made clothing and ties for one quilt (my sister's), and one box of the "down-time" clothes for myself, knowing that in the future there were so many other suits for me to make a second quilt for myself.

The quilter, Judy, called me one day while she was working on the quilts just to make sure that she had read my instructions correctly. She asked me what my father did for a living...and then told me how confused she was because one box was high end custom clothing and the other box included things like boxer shorts from the Piggly Wiggly, and Clockwork Orange t-shirts (my dad loved was obsessed with Alfred Hitchcock). I laughed, because that dichotomy was my father.


I wanted to have one quilt made for myself and one for my sister. Judy was amazing and was able to have them ready for me to give to Ruth for Christmas.

Both quilts were lap quilts, but mine was made of his "home attire" and Ruth's was made of his custom work attire.

The box arrived on Christmas Eve. When I unfolded the first quilt, tears began to stream down my face, which is the exact same reaction my sister had when opening hers.

We are trying as best we can to honor his memory in as many ways as we can think of. His not having a funeral has been really hard for me. I know that the funeral wouldn't bring full healing or closure, but it would have been nice to have a place and time to gather in his name to remember him.




Regardless, snuggling under the quilt makes me feel close to him, and I need that desperately right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow! I LOVE them. What a neat idea. Could you put me in touch with the woman that did them?