A while back, I blogged about a very special friend, Lesleigh, who I've known since our childhood years together at the Burlington Academy of Dance Arts. Leisleigh and her husband Nick, adopted their son Corbin last summer, using the same agency we are using. He is now six months old and the cutest thing! Such a happy baby! Overall, they had a wonderful adoption experience, which I'm so grateful for.
Mommy and Daddy with their new son:
Bottom line-I literally can't imagine having gotten through this process without her.
As luck would have it, the same birthparents that so graciously gave them their first son are going to have a second baby. What a gift! From what Lesleigh has told me, they seem like wonderful people. Of course, they want Lesleigh and Nick to adopt this child as well, which means that sweet little Corbin will have a biological sibling! The baby is due in July 26, 2013-not quite a year from their first adoption.
As you know from our endless blog posts and fundraising, adoption is extremely expensive. When I think about the lengths we have had to go to in order to raise, save, scrimp enough money to pay for our FIRST adoption, I can't imagine what they must be going through trying to fund this second adoption.
Think about this. If the birthparents of your only child were having a second child and wanted you to adopt the baby, what would you do? I know what I would do. Go to any lengths possible to make it happen.
As you might know, the adoption tax credit was saved (thankfully!). Lesleigh and Nick were counting on the $12,000 refund from Corbin's adoption to help them adopt this baby as well. Sadly, it turns out that when you adopt, you can't claim the adoption tax credit until the NEXT fiscal year. Without that money, they are literally unable to adopt Corbin's brother or sister. The did everything possible to pay for their first adoption on their own, and still paying off debts related to bringing baby Corbin home.
Lesleigh has done SO much for me-as I've told her-there is NO amount of money that could equal the support she has given me. Until now, I haven't felt like I was able to give her the same level of support. Thankfully....I have some experience in the fundraising department.
Without the donations that gracious friends, family, acquaintances, and frankly some strangers gave to us, there is no way we would have been able to fund our adoption.
Here's the bottom line. I NEED to pay it forward. We have donated to Lesleigh and Nick's second adoption, because I believe it's important to pay it forward. It's also important to say that we were only able to do that because of my father's untimely passing and his loving financial gifts to us in death. I think my dad would have liked that some of his legacy was going to not only his own grandchild, but also to helping another child and family who was in need.
So, we're now promoting Lesleigh and Nick's fundraising efforts. I'll be posting about it until they reach their goal. Their situation is even more critical than ours-the baby is coming. They are in a match. They have ultra sound pictures of this child. Without the support of generous people, they won't be able to make this happen.
Here is Baby Caulder #2 at 12 weeks.
I've given Lesleigh the same advice that was given to me. Cast a wide net. T-shirts, baby bottles with change, and direct donations. She feels the same discomfort we felt with asking friends and family for money. I've assured her that people will WANT to give. I've assured her that things will come into place in the most unexpected ways, as was true for us, and still is.
Five dollars or $5,000 dollars-literally there is no amount too small or too large. Their fundraising goal is less than ours, but the timing is critical.
Please, if you can, donate to their second adoption. Here is the link to their AdoptTogether site:
If you can't donate, you know the drill, share their story-post it on Facebook. Blog about it. Tell people about it. Fill up a baby bottle. Send them every good wish and hope that you can.
Phillip and I are asking this-if you currently have a baby bottle of change for us, we will forward it to them. Without you, we wouldn't be an active waiting family. Without all of us, they won't be able to bring their baby home. Dig deep. Pull on your heartstrings. Go outside your comfort zone. That's what was done for us and it must be done for them. I'll make sure of it.
Here's to bringing home Baby Caulder #2. Corbin deserves to grow up with his brother or sister, and Lesleigh and Nick desperately want that to happen. I mean, look at that happy baby, right?
Together, we can make them become a family. Don't wait. Do it now. $5 or $5,000. There is no amount too small or too large. From our experience, it was a combination of small, medium, and large donations that got us to our goal. The same can be true for them. Let's do this!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment