Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Farmer Kretlow

Okay, so I'm not a farmer. But my mother-in-law called me that in jest this weekend. My in-laws came to visit this weekend. I don't like the term "in-laws", though. It makes it sound so NOT familial. Maybe some people feel that way, but not me. I love my in-laws. Not like a "second" family-just like a family.

We started off the weekend with a trip to the Critzer family farm. It's a strawberry farm and a peach orchard, among other things. We picked two huge containers of strawberries. The strawberries were beautiful. To my knowledge, this was my first strawberry-picking experience. If I've done it before, I don't remember it. Picking those strawberries really made me think of what happens to them between the farm and the grocery store. I'm not even getting all "green" on you-just saying that they aren't all bruised and gross when you pick them yourself. And, they don't cost $5.00 a quart. Nope. They also had homemade, soft serve strawberry ice cream. Yum.












The main purpose of this strawberry picking extravaganza was so Jan could teach me how to make strawberry preserves. Jan was a great teacher! And now, I'm totally addicted to canning. Jan showed me that it's really not as hard as it seems. I already have so many ideas beyond what's growing in our garden (although I'll can what's growing in there, too, assuming there's enough). Black beans, tomato sauce, you name it, I've probably thought of it. While we were canning, Phillip and his dad were playing Cribbage. I failed to capture this on photo, because I was totally engrossed in the canning extravaganza!














I know it's "old school". It's also practical. And fun. And tastes better. Thanks, Jan, for teaching me your "farmer ways". The hymn..."Tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free..." makes me think of Jan. She's a beautiful woman and a special mom to me. Letting the canning begin!





No comments: