"The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
This has been my "manta", my philosophy of college teaching. I firmly believe that my goal is not just to impart my knowledge or "wisdom" to my students, but to reveal their own talents.
We have the most amazing reading and behavior practicums of any program I've ever heard of (ok, I'm a little biased, but really, I've never seen or heard of anything better).
Today was the last day of this practicum. This reading and behavior practicum has been my "baby" for the last three years. Not to be arrogant, but I have tried so hard to take this experience from "good" to "great". This year our students were beyond capable. Smart. Hardworking. Committed to kids. I am so proud of their progress.
In addition to all the "important stuff", this group is also loooong on personality. They make me laugh. They make me smile. Here are a few pictures of these sweet students. The mean so much to me, as every group that goes through this practicum does. They begin knowing nothing about teaching reading, and end knowing so much more than they every could realize. Guys, seriously, you are the reason I left the classroom, sacrificed my life for three years and pursued a Ph.D. You are the reason why I give up nights, weekends, and personal time to help you learn. You are the reason why I don't mind a line outside my door every Tuesday and Thursday during office hours. You are capable. Special. An extension of my knowledge and skill. I'm PROUD of you.You're going to teach so many kids to read. So many more than I could have ever taught on my own.
So, thanks, for helping me multiply my impact on kids. You're the reason why I do what I do everyday. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment