Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bronchitis isn't so bad....

Last weekend I hit up the "doc in a box" for some meds when I was feverish and coughing to "beat the band" (as Phillip's mother says). Shockingly, I ended up with a  Z-pack. I say shockingly, because you basically have to trade your left arm to get antibiotics these days, even when you're coughing up a lung. All I have to say is..."I have this auto-immune disorder....".....they are ready to hand out meds like it's a pez dispenser. Not necessarily helpful. They drew blood, did a flu swipe, and a strep test. I left doc-in-a-box with diagnosis of bacterial bronchitis because my white cells were way up. The doctor said I should be back on my feet by Monday.

Long story short, I was no better by Monday. Still hacking. Still had a fever. You get the picture. Back to the doctor, my real doctor this time.

Not bronchitis. Nope. Pneumonia. "Wet, turbulent lungs" were the words she used. Awesome. Left the doc with a LARGER bottle of cough syrup (that tastes like plastic) and a second antibiotic. No work til Thursday. It's Wednesday night and I can barely lift my head off the pillow. I'm not a good sick person. I don't like getting behind....however....this is how it works. I have no choice. And by "it", I mean ITP. Yep, it rears it's ugly head again.

I receive lots of comments like "you are working too hard" or, "take better care of yourself". That's not how it works, people. Yes, I push myself, and that could definitely have something to do with me being tired. But, there are plenty of people who work themselves hard and don't get pneumonia. I had my "good B cells" killed off in order to keep the ITP under control when I had chemotherapy. I'm immuno suppressed on purpose.  Recently, I've had to have a couple of IVIG treatments to boost my platelets, which have worked, but again suppress my immune system. Basically, I'm vulnerable to catching the bad germs. And let's not talk about how many hours a week I spend with kids...who are little germ carriers!


At any rate, I'm sick of bad reruns on TV. I'm sick of the couch. I'm sick of being worn out after just taking a shower. I'm hoping to be better by Monday, which is when we are supposed to leave for Denver, so I can present at the CEC conference. Also, Monday is our wedding anniversary and our second home visit for the adoption. So, rest (and more bad TV) is on the menu for me in order to get to these goals! Am I having a pity party? Maybe a small one, I admit. I'll get over it soon!

3 comments:

Christina said...

I too went through a z pack for bronchitis a few months ago...for me, all I have to say is, I have asthma...actually, didn't need to say anything. The urgent care doc rushed me to a nebulizer treatment. Anyways - I still wasn't better after z pack ended so I ended up on a newer antibiotic that's good for respiratory infections...avelox. I've taken it another time and it worked wonders! I've been sick a lot in the past year since going menopausal. Low estrogen = Low immune system. I sympathize with you! Praying for your trip to Denver! I'm jealous...wanna go hug my nephew for me??

Amber said...

Happy Anniversary on Monday!

Allison said...

Thanks for the well wishes Christina. :) I am actually allergic to Avelox. I had it in the hospital when I was first diagnosed with ITP and my throat swelled shut!! Yikes! But, I would be happy to hug your nephew for you! We've never been to denver, so I'm excited.

Amber-thanks so much for the anniversary wishes!