Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My cup runneth over

One of my colleagues, Dave Herr has been at JMU for almost 40 years, and every time anyone asks him what the best thing about JMU is, he says "our students". Boy, is he right.

My students are over the moon excited for us to be adopting. I can't really do it justice with words in the English language. One of my former students said to me at the shower "I've been waiting for you to be a mom from day one!".

Yesterday, I came into my office to find this on my desk: 

It was a note from a sweet former student, Kyrie, and a bunch of "congratulations on adopting" cards she had her students make for me. I had Kyrie my first year at JMU. They are hilarious, by the way.

Here's what the note from Kyrie said:

"I credit you for helping me become the person and teacher I am today. For this reason, among others, I know you will be such an amazing mother. I have told all of my students about you, and they wanted to wish you good luck. :) I wish you the best on this journey, and I hope you know how much support you have behind you. I remember you gave s a quote upon graduation...the quote I now tell my students is "one person can make a difference, and everyone should try" !John F. Kennedy. Miss you incredibly!" 


Love, Kyrie (and my first caseload!!)


Wow. When you are teaching students, you don't know you're changing their life in these long lasting ways. You're just working as hard as you can to push them to excellence while loving them at the same time. That is no easy balance, my friends. I guess, in a way, it IS like motherhood. Maybe why that's why they are so excited. I couldn't even read the note out loud to Phillip without crying. This journey sure has it's ups and downs, but I have NEVER felt more loved or supported in all my life. Kyrie, thanks for reminding me how much support I have behind me. I love you!

No comments: