I get the lump for a couple of reasons. First of all, because I want my students to know that I did my best to teach them. That they learned something they didn't know before. I'm not perfect, no one is. Second of all, because my job depends on it.
I've been on the assessment committee in the College of Education for the last three years, during which we've worked on ways to get more meaningful feedback from our students. We're all concerned with it being accurate, reflective data that we can use. So, do the numbers matter? Yes, they do. They matter in tenure and promotion. But to me, the comments matter more (by the way those also matter in tenure and promotion).
I'm not so concerned with whether students "like me" or not (although, of course it feels good to be liked!). I do want my classroom to have a climate conducive to learning, but I'm not out for popularity; I do this job because I want to produce the best teachers. I'm much more concerned with whether or not what I gave them was valuable. Sometimes they don't know if it was valuable until they are out in the real world teaching. But oh, their words can be elevating and hurtful, especially if you truly did do the best you could.
If I'm going to model being a reflective teacher, then I have to respond to their comments and scores, thinking carefully and honestly about how to get better each time I approach a course. This semester's scores weren't bad, but I had some personal ups and downs (e.g., pneumonia, etc) that held me back from being full steam ahead. I have a lot more responsibility than I ever had in the first two years, and to be honest and vulnerable, it's sometimes hard to manage it all. 100+ emails a day. 75+ phone calls and messages a day. Going through the process of adoption. This semester I had over 70 students total across three courses. I do believe I did my best, because I always try to do my best. But as my mom once told me, doing "your best" doesn't always mean "the best". For a perfectionist like me, that's a hard pill to swallow.
Sometimes I try to use humor to soften a callous. Sometimes students write really funny things on evaluations like "he wears too many sweater vests" or "I'd like to have him over for beef stew" or "she is the devil's right hand man" or "she ran a rein of terror over the class" (these are REAL examples, people, not of comments on mine, but of others I know). So I found this funny article about teaching evaluations on the chronicle. You must understand that it's totally tongue and cheek before you read it, but it's a pretty eye opening discussion starter to how we evaluate college professors.
I'm too tired to think about it anymore right now. In a few weeks (when my wounds have healed a little), I'll look at them again with a more objective eye. Here's the link if you want an interesting read.
http://chronicle.com/article/The-Torment-of-Teaching-Eva/45129


2 comments:
I enjoyed various aspects of all my courses at JMU but I can honestly say that after much far reaching (and consistently unfair) criticisms of my professors, I could not find a weakness. I took three courses with you. Everything that you preached was modelled to us. Your modeling was not just a piece of a specific lesson but was evident throughout the course and simply made explicit to us when we arrived at that objective. Your teaching exemplified the automaticity in the art that you stressed so much in your assessments(SAFMEDs...ugh). I recall my experiences in your courses to assess most of my decision making today. Everything we learned seems completely obvious now but it wasn't until you showed us. Please don't let your reflection go too deep.
It was truly inspiring to see that level of mastery. Remember when you convinced me to get a Phd?
Kids these days...
J, you have absolutely no idea how much I needed to hear that tonight. It was a rough semester, to say the least. I value my students and teaching so much, so thank you sincerely for those words!
Post a Comment