Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So Let's Talk about this Fundraising Thing....

I've been mulling this over for the last few days....whether to say something about it or not. Whether to just be frustrated, or to decide to educate. I'm choosing the latter.

Last week, I had an acquaintance poke fun at my blogging/fundraising efforts toward our adoption. Let's just say, it was extremely hurtful, and I spent most of the night in tears.

So let's get down to the reality. Did I plan to fundraise to build a family? No. Did I want to make a huge public "to-do" about our adoption? No. Did we try EVERY other option first? Yes. In fact, to be quite honest with you, despite what it might seem like to you, the fundraising is really difficult, embarrassing, and humbling.

We had a plan to do this without help. That plan failed. Twice. Why? Because life happened. Because MOST people don't have access to $35,000+ in cash. Especially people who have been through outrageously expensive chemotherapy, taking a loss on a home,  and a massive layoff that impacted us in financial ways I can't even explain. All those things happened in the course of four years.

I guess here is the bottom line. Please, please, think about what you say. Put yourself in our position-it's uncomfortable at best. It's humiliating at times. But, it's what we have to do to build a family. It hurts enough to know that we're not able to do it our own. Why add insult to injury? Know that your words can be incredibly hurtful or incredibly uplifting-it's your choice. And I'm strong, but I can't bear being taunted for the fundraising. If you don't like it-don't follow the blog. Don't give money. It's really okay with us-we understand if you are uncomfortable or don't understand it. It wasn't my plan either, but it's the path I'm on and I'm incredibly grateful to those of you who genuinely want to help us become parents.

Honestly? It's mean to make fun of this. It's not okay. Educate yourself, or move on. We have plenty of amazing people who do support us and understand this journey.

No comments: