Monday, March 21, 2011

Milk Paint Pots


I have a confession. I love Martha Stewart. There, I said it. Yeah, I know she went to jail for insider trading or something like that. I get it. But, it's not like she's Bernie Madoff. Let's face it. The woman knows crafts. Now, I'm not that crafty. I like an easy project every now and then. I do like to watch her show to get ideas.

All my readers know I've been pretty obsessed with gardening so far this spring. It's a fairly inexpensive hobby that makes me feel good and is good for the environment. Win win. I'm working on potting some plants on our deck. So, when Martha made Milk Paint Pots I just had to follow suit.

First, you buy some really inexpensive pots like these.









Then, you fasten a braided rope of your choosing around it using hot glue. Next, you paint it using Milk Paint.


Milk Paint is literally that-paint made from milk. It also has lime in it. All natural ingredients, not harmful to the environment, and most importantly, it sticks to porous surfaces like the pots.















The last step is to spray the pots with a clear finishing spray. And....ta da!


I made 6 pots (smaller ones not pictured) for a very, very small price. Decorative pots like this usually go for at least 5-10 dollars per pot. Here's the link to the project directions, if you're interested!





No comments: